Command Line Interface¶
You can invoke the django CMS command line interface using the cms Django command:
python manage.py cms
The list command is used to display information about your installation.
It has two subcommands:
- cms list plugins lists all plugins that are used in your project.
- cms list apphooks lists all apphooks that are used in your project.
cms list plugins will issue warnings when it finds orphaned plugins (see cms delete_orphaned_plugins below).
Checks your configuration and environment.
Plugin and apphook management commands¶
The delete_orphaned_plugins command permanently deletes data from your database. You should make a backup of your database before using it!
Identifies and deletes orphaned plugins.
Orphaned plugins are ones that exist in the CMSPlugins table, but:
- have a plugin_type that is no longer even installed
- have no corresponding saved instance in that particular plugin type’s table
Such plugins will cause problems when trying to use operations that need to copy pages (and thefore plugins), which includes cms moderator on as well as page copy operations in the admin.
It is advised to run cms list plugins periodically, and cms delete_orphaned_plugins when required.
The uninstall subcommand can be used to make uninstalling a CMS Plugin or an apphook easier.
It has two subcommands:
- cms uninstall plugins <plugin name> [<plugin name 2> [...]] uninstalls one or several plugins by removing them from all pages where they are used. Note that the plugin name should be the name of the class that is registered in the django CMS. If you are unsure about the plugin name, use the cms list to see a list of installed plugins.
- cms uninstall apphooks <apphook name> [<apphook name 2> [...]] uninstalls one or several apphooks by removing them from all pages where they are used. Note that the apphook name should be the name of the class that is registered in the django CMS. If you are unsure about the apphook name, use the cms list to see a list of installed apphooks.
The uninstall commands permanently delete data from your database. You should make a backup of your database before using them!
The copy-lang subcommand can be used to copy content (titles and plugins) from one language to another. By default the subcommand copy content from the current site (e.g. the value of SITE_ID) and only if the target placeholder has no content for the specified language; using the defined options you can change this.
You must provide two arguments:
- from_language: the language to copy the content from;
- to_language: the language to copy the content to.
It accepts the following options
- force-copy: set to copy content even if a placeholder already has content; if set, copied content will be appended to the original one;
- site: specifiy a SITE_ID to operate on sites different from the current one;
- verbose: set for more verbose output.
cms copy-lang en de force-copy site=2 verbose
If you migrate from an earlier version, you should use the cms moderator on command to ensure that your published pages are up to date, whether or not you used moderation in the past.
This command alters data in your database. You should make a backup of your database before using it! Never run this command without first checking for orphaned plugins, using the cms list plugins command, and if necessary delete_orphaned_plugins. Running cms moderator with orphaned plugins will fail and leave bad data in your database.
MPTT repair command¶
Occasionally, the MPTT structure in which pages and plugins are held can accumulate small errors. These are typically the result of failed operations or large and complex restructurings of the tree (perhaps even cosmic rays, planetary alignment or other mysterious conditions).
Usually you won’t even notice them, and they won’t affect the operation of the system, but when you run into trouble it’s useful to be able to rebuild the tree - it’s also useful to rebuild it as part of preventative maintenance.
This command alters data in your database. You should make a backup of your database before using it!