django CMS documentation¶
django CMS is a modern web publishing platform built with Django, the web application framework “for perfectionists with deadlines”.
django CMS offers out-of-the-box support for the common features you’d expect from a CMS, but can also be easily customised and extended by developers to create a site that is tailored to their precise needs.
Web content editors looking for documentation on how to use the editing interface should refer to our Editing Basics section.
Web content developers who want to learn more about django CMS, as well as how to install, configure and customize it for their own projects will can refer to Tutorials, How-to guides, Key topics and Reference sections.
Why django CMS?¶
django CMS is a battle-tested CMS platform that powers sites both large and small. Here are a few of the key features:
- robust internationalization (i18n) support for creating multilingual sites
- virtually unlimited undo history, allowing editors to revert to a previous version
- front-end editing, providing rapid access to the content management interface
- support for a variety of editors with advanced text editing features.
- a flexible plugins system that lets developers put powerful tools at the fingertips of editors, without overwhelming them with a difficult interface
- ...and much more
There are other capable Django-based CMS platforms but here’s why you should consider django CMS:
- thorough documentation
- easy and comprehensive integration into existing projects - django CMS isn’t a monolithic application
- a healthy, active and supportive developer community
- a strong culture of good code, including an emphasis on automated testing
This document refers to version 3.1.0.dev1
Version 3.0 introduces some significant changes that require action if you are upgrading from a previous version. Please refer to Upgrading from previous versions
Table of contents¶
- How-to guides
- Integrate django CMS into an existing project
- Custom Plugins
- Customising navigation menus
- Working with templates
- Extending the page & title models
- Extending the Toolbar
- Using South with django CMS
- Testing Your Extensions
- Placeholders outside the CMS
- Frontend editing for Page and Django models
- Sitemap Guide
- Key topics
- Development & community
- Release notes & upgrade information
- Using django CMS